Friday, April 1, 2011

Vitamins


As a new vegan, I am constantly wondering if I am getting the proper nutrition.  I know that there are a lot of vitamins and minerals that I don't get by not eating dairy and meat.  I have learned a lot though researching on my own, but I am definitely going to make a visit to a Dr. and to a nutritionist to make sure that my body has everything it needs to run well!  When you start cutting things out of your diet, you have to balance yourself out!  Just because someone is a vegan doesn't mean that they are healthy, and I want to make sure I am getting everything I need!

Apparently most vegans take a daily B12 supplement because it can only be found in animal products, and since I don't eat anything that came from an animal, I don't get any B12!  B12 is a super important vitamin that is required for proper red blood cell formation, neurological function, and DNA synthesis.  I don't want to mess up the production of that stuff, so I am taking B12 once daily.   

I know there is a whole slew of other vitamins that I need, some of which I can get though my food, and others I will need to take supplements in addition to.  In general I prefer to get all my nutrients though the food source itself, but in this case I might not always have that option.

Here is a website I came across that breaks down the vitamins vegans should be making sure they take, and in what quantities.  I found it very helpful, but nothing can replace the advice you get from a medical professional!  VeganHealthVitamins

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the B12, oh my gosh. I keep forgetting to take it. Glad you're working with the supplements - and thanks for the great link.

    ReplyDelete